|WORLD NEWS||TECH & GADGETS NEWS|
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES Follow @bestofvizag
|Latest News Updates|
- US Navy says Phailin is now category 5 Cyclone
Oct 12: The weather office may be underestimating the severity of a cyclone which is hurtling towards the east coast, a meteorologist warned on Friday, adding that it could be worse than Hurricane Katrina which devastated parts of the United States in 2005.
Cyclone Phailin is forecast to hit the coast between Kalingapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and Paradip in Odisha late on Saturday with a maximum wind speed of 220kmph (135mph), the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said in its latest bulletin.
However, both London-based Tropical Storm and the US navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Centre forecast winds reaching 315kmph (195mph) on landfall, classifying Phailin as a Category 5 storm — the most powerful.
"Phailin is already worse than what the IMD is forecasting. A recent satellite estimate put Phailin's current intensity on par with 2005's Hurricane Katrina in the United States," said Eric Holthaus, meteorologist for Quartz, a US-based online magazine which covers global economy-related issues.
"Everything I know as a meteorologist tells me this is the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane — among the strongest on earth in 2013. That would mean Phailin could be the strongest cyclone ever measured in the Indian Ocean."
Hurricane Katrina hit the US Gulf coast on August 29, 2005, killing more than 1,800 people, driving 2.16 million from their homes and causing $75 billion of damage.
Odhisa and Andhra Pradesh governments have taken all safety measures in wake of this disastrous Cyclone that is going to make land on Saturday evening between Paradip and Kalingapatnam.
- Jagan directs party men to intensify the united Andhra agitation
Sep 26: YSR Congress president Jaganmohan Reddy on Wednesday decided to take on the Congress president Sonia Gandhi head on over the issue of the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, directing his partymen to intensify the united Andhra agitation raging for the last 57 days in the Seemandhra region.
While Jagan himself will undertake a state tour starting from Idupulapaya after securing permission from the court, all the 17 party MLAs were directed to launch relay hunger strikes on Gandhi Jayanti on October 2 in protest against the proposed division of the state.
Apart from this, it was also decided to shame Congress and Telugu Desam Party legislators from the Seemandhra by launching 'Gandhigiri' in front of their residences. Targeting the Congress regimes at the Centre and in the state, it was decided that farmers would be organized to stage protests on October 10, auto drivers on October 17, and women on October 21.
"Jagan told us to speed up and intensify the agitation in the 175 assembly constituencies in the Seemandhra. He also instructed leaders to take active part in the Samaikyandhra (united Andhra) movement and spread the message that YSRCP is the only party with a clear stand on the issue. He is clear about stalling the division," said Dharmana Krishna Das, MLA. - TNN
- Andhra Petrochemicals Limited’s plant at Visakhapatnam has been shut-down from September 4, 2013 due to non-supply of major raw material propylene from its supplier Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL). This shut-down is expected to continue for another 10 to 15 days, according to a statement made to BSE.
- Torrential rain brought a premature end to the four-day run feast between India A and New Zealand A at ACA-VDCA Stadium in Visakhapatnam on Thursday (September 5) just after tea. The drawn game had three centuries, including a huge one, and six fifties as 1043 runs were scored for the loss of just 23 wickets.
- Protests leave passport seekers anxious, miffed in 5 coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- VISAKHAPATNAM: The Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS) at Vizag has filed a complaint with the Malkapuram police station on Tuesday against the management of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)-Visakha Refinery, including its executive director, HR manager and manager (safety) for lapses in operations and construction of the cooler tower within the refinery premises that was charred in a blaze recently.
- Unity meet in Vizag on September 14: After resigning to his Cabinet berth, infrastructure and investment minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao, along with his Seemandhra colleagues, is planning to organise a public meeting in Visakhapatnam on Sept 14 to convey to Delhi that the people of Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema want the state to remain united. Srinivasa Rao told mediapersons on Wednesday that the public meeting would signal coming together of people who are fighting for Samaikyandhra. He had resigned so that his conscience would be clean when he joins the people’s fight, he said.
- Visakhapatnam, Sep 5 (PTI) Four Naxals today surrendered before the police in the district. Korra Sattibabu (21), Patruni Ramanamma (20), Gemmeli Ramunaidu (22) and Korra Chittibabu (21), all of whom hailed from Vizag Agency area, surrendered in the presence of Superintendent of Police Vikram Jeet Duggal and Officer on Special Duty (Operations) A R Damodhar at Narsipatnam, police said.
|Live Vizag Weather Updates|
|Live Stock Ticker|